The Pink Elephant Print Dress – Colette Chantilly.

Me rocking the elephant print Chantilly

Me rocking the elephant print Chantilly

Well I’ve finally finished it!!

I’m so excited about this dress. It’s in one of my all time favourite fabrics from my stash, by Michael Miller and I’ve been fantasising about a dress in it ever since I saw Alexandra King’s wonderful dress in the window of Millie Moon in Wells.

Dress by Alexandra King, seen in the window of Millie Moon, Wells.

Dress by Alexandra King, seen in the window of Millie Moon, Wells.

Alexandra makes THE most beautiful dresses! Here website is here, but be warned if you’re anything like me you’ll be swooning and wondering how you’ll ever save up for a whole Alexandra King wardrobe!!

Anyway, I digress…This is my first proper project that I’ve done all on my own with no tuition and me being me I had to start with an intermediate pattern didn’t I? Its the Chantilly dress from Colette Patterns. You can buy it from Millie Moon here.

In all honesty the making up wasn’t too tricky. The main issue was with the lining as I ended up with the zip opening on opposite sides on the shell and lining. It would have been fine if I put the lining in with the raw seams to my skin, but I wanted the ‘right side’ of the lining to sit against the skin so that all the raw edges of the lining and shell were sandwiched together. So, I unpicked and remade.

Then on finishing, it was way too big!! I mean massive. One of the things I’m really rubbish at is fitting things before/as I sew. This wasn’t helped with this dress as you can’t really fit it without the yoke added to the bodice, which comes last! In the end the dress was so massive I decided I’d have to unpick the whole thing and cut it in a smaller size. I made up a new bodice in calico (which I should have done in the first place!) and settled on 2 sizes smaller! The neck yoke still wasn’t sitting right on me so I managed to pin this and adjust the pattern piece, to give a great fit for me around the neckline. I was particularly pleased with this as it’s the first time I’ve had to adjust a pattern piece 🙂 After this it was just sewing it all up again which was fairly straight forward. I didn’t recut the skirt, as this was just gathered more into the smaller bodice, giving a lovely fuller effect.

All in all it’s not perfect, but I’ve learned lots from this make and feel so smiley and proud when I put it on! I’m moving on to the Violet blouse now 🙂

Advertisements